A great read for the start of the school year…
One of the best indicators that I am doing teaching right is the spontaneous comments made by my learners. This qualitative information, for me as an educator, is a much better measure of success in the classroom than any type of quantitative information. What follows are some comments I love hearing from my learners:
- I really like coming to class.
- Can I stay in the classroom (for recess, for lunch, after school) so I can continue working on my project?
- Is it time to go leave already?
- I am a good learner.
- I love learning new things.
- I feel like I have a real voice in this classroom; that what I say matters.
- I know I wasn’t successful with the assignment but I am going to use that information to improve.
- Our class feels like a family.
- You (the teacher) haven’t forgotten what it’s like to be a kid.